Monday, June 17, 2013

Kaspersky uses too much memory

From a previous post I have written about how you can monitor which of your programs running in the background is making your computer to run slow.

In this post I am going to give an example.

By sorting the list of processes in Task Manager by handles, I saw that avp.exe has the highest handles. Although it has not the highest memory usage, its memory usage is still considerably large. So with this new info, I went to search for answers and found out that avp.exe is the process name for Kaspersky Internet Security.

I have also learned that Kaspersky do scan system memory, start-up objects and system partition while the computer is idle. It also checks for Automatic updates of anti-virus databases and application modules. Both this are resource intensive tasks that can cause CPU as well as memory usage to go extra high when it is started causing your computer to slow down.

Fortunately, there is a way to disable it. Just open KIS then click Settings (gear icon), and go to General Scan Settings (click magnifying glass icon). Uncheck the Perform Idle Scan and Perform regular rootkit scan radio buttons.

After disabling both, I now see a decline in my handles as well as the memory usage and I don't see much CPU spikes anymore.

Back to CyberLiving home page

Other Posts
Disabling Google+ Comments after reverting back to the original Blogger Profile
New virus for Android found

1 comments

Anonymous

thanks a lot. it works perfectly

Post a Comment