Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Blank screen on reboot with no warning beeps (Computer will not boot not even a POST)


I just came back from a week's vacation and when I got back I want to change my mails. I powered up my desktop and everything went like any other time I have done so. Checksum error showed (CMOS went back to factory default due to a depleted CMOS battery), after setting the date and time at CMOS set-up page, my desktop restarted and then loaded windows. When windows has completely loaded, my PC freezes. Keyboard num lock went off and unresponsive, mouse is also not responding, even the reset button is not working. I had to force it to shut down by pressing on the power button for 5 seconds or until it shuts down.

When I tried to restart it, I got nothing on the screen. There is power on my PC, DVD drive initializes and hard disk drive activity indicator is lit but there is nothing on the screen. Not even a POST report. The fans are also working.

I tried the following:

1. Reset the CMOS but nothing happened.

2. Replaced the CMOS battery with a new one and again reset the CMOS but still nothing happened.

3. Changed the monitor cable but still nothing on my screen.

4. I tried to reseat all cards and still nothing happened.

5. Checked the power supply and all are within specs.

6. I am getting at my wit's end then as a last resort I tried to check my memory cards if one or both of them may be at fault (I have 2 DDRII 512mb each). What did you know, restarting after my first attempt at removing one of the cards, I got that single beep indicating all systems are green and my display came alive displaying the POST report.

If you are experiencing the same problem, try checking your memory cards. If you have two, remove one then restart if that did not work, try the one you removed instead. If you only have one card, try borrowing from other PC or from a friend if you don't have a spare.

Back to home page

Other Posts
Movetab MA900 review
Download Youtube Videos or Background Music

0 comments

Post a Comment